On Friday morning at 3:00 AM I noticed a few hard contractions and a bit of fluid leaking. Nothing to really worry about but I felt different for some reason. I prayed and remember asking God "is this it?". I had the strongest feeling that it was the real thing, I also felt peaceful and a bit sleepy so I went back to bed. At 4:45 I woke again with hard contractions and decided to start timing them. They had been 5 minutes apart for a half hour when Brent's alarm went off to wake up for Army PT. I asked him if he was getting up. He said yes. Then I told him I didn't think he was going in to PT because I was pretty sure I was in labor. After 45 minutes, a call to my mid-wife, and a hot shower we were ready to leave for the hospital. Brent's parents arrived in lightning speed and Brent and my father in-law gave me a blessing before we went out the door. The blessing said I would be able to really enjoy this and be in the moment and also assured me that everything would go smoothly. As I sat there I felt so much peace and more faith than ever before. I knew that the Lord was with me and that this blessing was from him. I knew that my beloved husband was speaking for God through the power of the priesthood. I can't describe how perfectly assured I was and confident that our sons delivery would be smooth.
I was in a lot of pain and the car ride was particularly uncomfortable but I couldn't stop smiling, I was so excited. We got placed in a "holding room" aka. "are we sure you are in labor room?" and I got checked by a nurse. Dilated to a 4+ and 95% effaced. I had fluid leaking but my water had not yet fully broken. My mid-wife (CNM) showed up and gave me a big hug and said "We are having this baby today!"... did I mention that I love her?
At this point I am moved to the "this is the real deal" room. There was a table set up to receive my baby and a beautiful view of the Timpanogos temple out my window. The sun had not come up yet and the temple was a beautiful sight to see and to remind me this baby is going to be ours forever.
My good friend from high school Melanie is a nurse practitioner and she works in labor and delivery in Salt Lake. At about 7:30 she arrived at the hospital. Melanie brought her ihome and played all kinds of beautiful relaxing piano music. She also brought me yummy smelling lotions and gave me head rubs too. It was so great to have her help. She also knew her way around and could explain the equipment and different things that were going on. The amazing thing is that she actually knew my mid-wife from school! I couldn't have asked for a better team of support.
I got my epidural around 8. Honestly, I think there is more of a sting when you get an IV. It went really well, it just feels super weird to get it in. I was hoping that this epidural would work better than with my first delivery (it began to wear off on one side towards the end).
So there I was sitting ever so comfortably and totally in labor (I love epidurals). Eden and Mom and Dad Fogt came to the hospital at this point. Eden was a little nervous at first but soon climbed up on the bed with me. She drank juice from a straw like mommy and ate lots of cookies. She was very aware of me and would get two cookies in her hand and always bring me one. After an hour or so she took her shoes off and made herself really comfortable. She gave my mid-wife hugs and gave her cookies too. When ever I would get checked Eden and Grandpa would go on a walk but for the most part we had everyone hanging out in the delivery room for most of my laboring.
At around 10:30 my mid-wife noticed that I had stopped progressing. She wanted to know if I would like some pitocin. It wouldn't hurt anything but for some reason I felt like my body would kick into gear. I asked if we could wait 45 minutes. In 30 minutes I started to really progress again. I got to a 7 then 8 then 9. My mid-wife had me lay in two different positions to get baby boy in just the right spot to come out. It worked and once I was a 10 we began to push. I loved the epidural because I was not in pain but I could feel the pressure of when to push... a lot of pressure. After 4-5 contractions, the encouraging words of my mid-wife, husband, friend Melanie, my mother in-law and great nurses he arrived. My mid-wife even had Brent "catch" him and he was able to cut the cord as well.
My experience was night and day different from Eden's birth. He was placed on my chest immediately and I was able to look at, hold and love him with out throwing up or passing out. He even nursed right away. We (I) hadn't decided on a name yet. I knew it was either Benson or William and I told Brent we would wait to see him to decide... When he came out all I knew was this kid is not William... he is Benson William. So there it is!
I had a 2nd degree tear and was stitched up quickly. The labor and delivery was all together about 6 hours. He was healthy and crying like crazy and I was so happy to have him in my arms. Eden came in with Grandpa after delivery and was totally intrigued with the baby. She gave him kisses and wanted to be held where she could always see him.
I had such an amazing support group I feel so blessed for the people in my life and blessed that I found such an amazing and talented mid-wife. We are so blessed and happy. I'm also really glad that I had a bad birth experience first. I probably wouldn't have appreciated how well it went this time and I would have been a lot more scared for myself last time. So grateful and so glad to have our boy here...
12 comments:
Congrats Soph! Your family is even more beautiful! xo
Oh my goodness, that last picture is to die for. Such a great idea for her to have her own baby. I'm so happy everything went so smoothly this time around. It really does seem like nothing could have gone better! I love that you got a blessing before you left for the hospital, why didn't that ever cross my mind before?! Will definitely do that with my other babies.
He is Perfect Soph!
Last picture made me cry!!! :*) Thanks for sharing Soph! I'm glad things went better this time around. All the best wishes for you!!
Love you!!
Congrats!! that story is so amazing, such a support group! Benson is such a cute name :) And he is so handsome! I can not handle that last picture of you and Eden with your babies, way too cute! I am so glad everything went well!
love, Rebekah
Oh my goodness, that last picture is the cutest thing I have ever seen in my life. Congrats Sophie!!
Oh my goodness. That last picture is the cutest thing I have ever seen! Congrats Sophie!!
Oh my goodness! That last picture is the cutest thing I have ever seen! Congrats Sophie!!
Congrats Sophie! I love his name!! And he looks SO much like Eden. I'm so happy that you had a wonderful birthing experience this time. I hope you have a speedy recovery!
You are a rockstar. I love you and your darling family! I'm so glad everything went smoothly and I can't wait to give you a hug!
I'm so glad everything went well! Labor/delivery is so scary because so much is out of your control, so I'm glad it was a good experience for you this time! Congrats on such a handsome little boy, I love his name!
Soph he is precious! I am so happy you had a great midwife and Melanie. Seriously, that is so special! I love you & miss you. Hope you're doing amazing!
Soph he is so precious! I am so happy you had a great experience with your midwife and that Melanie could be there as well. That makes it so special. I love you and hope you're doing amazing.
Post a Comment