Friday, February 27, 2015

The story of PJ Sparkles

When I was seven years old I only wanted one thing for Christmas, it was a doll. Her name was PJ sparkles. She even had a special commercial that I loved to watch and sing to. The jingle can still be found in my memory, "PJ sparkles shine on shine on me PJ sparkles shine on me!"  She had a dress that could be scrunched up for the day time and extended down for pajamas. She was a night time friend and when you push the button on her back she would light up and sparkle. Her bow sparkled and she had a little heart in her chest that sparkled. She was magical. The Christmas that I received her was the most memorable Christmas I'd ever had. She was a special favorite doll throughout my childhood.  I probably played with her until I was 11. I made miniature school lunches for her, a backpack with school supplies and I even cut her hair.  She is the only toy from my childhood that was kept.  She'd been living in a box in a storage room until I took that box and brought it to my garage....where it sat for almost a year until Eden found her. As I was cleaning the garage one day Edens saw PJ sparkles at the top of my box. She begged me to hold her. I had told her about PJ before, and I decided that we could take her inside and she could play with her. Eden washed her face and brushed her hair she found doll clothes and shoes to put on her. She loved PJ sparkles. She immediately became a beloved doll, just as special as her most prized and favorite stuffed animal kitty meow meow. For two days straight she begged me to try to put new batteries in PJ. I got the PJ in 1991 and I was certain that there was no way that she still worked. I put off the question until I couldn't put it off anymore. She asked again if we could put batteries in and I finally said yes. Benson, Eden and I sat on the carpet in living room with a box of batteries and spent 20 minutes trying to figure out how to get the back to pop off. We finally got it off and the moment of truth came. I plugged in new batteries and closed up her back and pushed down lightly. Nothing happened. I pushed down a little harder and magic! She lit up! We were all so happy! Eden screamed and laughed. She twirled around and around with my little doll.  I suddenly became overwhelmed with emotion. I felt such love. I felt as if Eden was taking a little girl version of myself and bringing her back to life, love and safety. She loved my doll.  She didn't care that her hair was ragged, that she didn't have clothes, that she was dirty and in and old box. She just loved her unconditionally and that unconditional love was touching the broken little child inside of me. Eden had all the faith that my doll would light up again and when she did it we all lit up too. Eden swang her around and around.  I won't ever forget it. Now, two weeks later, when I go in to check on Eden after she's fallen asleep, PJ sparkles is tucked in her doll bed with a blanket and pajamas on or safely tucked under Eden's arm. When I see edens thoughtfulness I can't help but feel looked after as well and a sense of unconditional love washes over me. Eden gave me such a beautiful gift through her pure love. 

1 comment:

Miss Mary said...

I love this post so much!! So beautiful. I love that you felt so loved and cared for seeing her care for your PJ. That is so special. I have a teddy bear from childhood named Melinda who I am trying to get Bennett to love :)