Friday, May 14, 2010

leaping

From this to that....


When I was about 6 months pregnant I quit dancing, I quit all physical activity actually. I remember my last dance class very clearly...


I waited my turn to go across the floor next to flat tummied, toned, energetic people. I had made it this far and I was going to try to dance the whole pregnancy, until ...


Leaps. Uggghhhhh.


Lets just say there was no amount of leaping done by me. I wasn't near as graceful as those giant hippos in Fantasia... to say the least!

Thus the end of all physical activity and the continuous climb to a total of 50 pregnancy lbs.

So this last month when I was asked to substitute teach a couple Dance classes I thought, "hmmm, 7 months later, yeah I can give it a shot."

and....I leaped guys, I did it.


I kinda never thought I'd be able to get my rear off the ground again.
It was so refreshing to teach and to move.


I loved being able to encourage and help young dancers too. I was so pleased to get a class of hardworking 13, 14 and 15 year old's. They truly inspired me.

We did improvisation and the end of the routine I gave them. This is where they continue dancing to the music when there is no set choreography they just "free style".


They were beginning/intermediate but I could see from there dancing how much they loved it.

Dance is truly a form of expression and I love it so much. I think it is a gift to be able to say something with music and motion. I was in awe of those young dancers going for it and looking so free.

I believe that it is never too late to go for something you love or decide to go for it again.
If you love something then you were meant to do it.

Happy Friday!
xoxo



Soph

12 comments:

Brit n' Ryan said...

I totally agree. Although I'm not a dancer, I always wanted to be one. Now I'll just live vicariously through Skylee who loves to dance too! This isn't completely off the subject, just a little...I have to say thank you for inspiring me to start crafting. When you first started your craft blog I was totally inspired. I haven't been crafting for even a year yet, but I love it! Now I have my own little craft blog :)

Leslie said...

why do i feel like you're talking RIGHT AT ME??? oh, maybe because i've always wanted to be able to dance, or just take a dance class without feeling stupid or too old. and not only that, but who WOULDN'T want a dancer's body like that??? *sigh*

Smack said...

Soph! Where are you taking class? I haven't taken a jazz class in over 2 years... Isn't that sad?? I want to go with you sometime! Miss and love you

Laura-Lu said...

Look at that high kick! Right on sister.

Thanks for saying all this because it's totally how I'm feeling now. I was actually looking at a picture of myself from a few years back and I just hoped I can be that way again. It's all worth it though, right? Thanks for giving me hope of life after pregnancy.

Nichole Burdett said...

I know just how you feel:)

Anonymous said...

Dancing rocks my socks! You are beautiful, Soph, big belly or not!

The Sisters 4 say MORE is more said...

so jealous! i havent gotten off the ground in a while... time to start back up... its never too late

~inspiring as usual..

Rachel U said...

youre so right soph! i need to get out there and find a choir to be in. it's time. i hate how college makes me feel like i have no hobbies. but i do! i just can't make singing my life/major. you are so beautiful by the way! i would have LOVED to have you as a dance teacher when i was 14 and 15!

Skylar and Lauren said...

ur cute and I love you! So glad that u are so passionate about keeping ur other loves alive-it inspires me! I saw that u called and we're with Sky's family, so I'll call u back when we're back to normal! miss u beautiful!

Ashley Hardison said...

I know what you mean. I still love to dance around my house. There is nothing that makes me feel happier. Especially from being pregnant to being able to dance again. Oh the refreshing feeling.

Michelle said...

look at those legs, girl! dang!

in morse code said...

this post makes me feel so much better about my silly adult class! thank you! keep going girl!