Friday, July 15, 2011

my food looks prettier now

Rice noodles, olives, green beans, black beans, spinach, olive oil, salt, pepper, and turkey.

With Eden's pregnancy in my last month I developed some sort of allergic reaction in my hands and feet. They got tiny little itty bitty bumps all over and were itching like crazy. All test came back saying that I was goooood... but I didn't feel good.  I dealt with it in complete misery that last month of pregnancy. 
Well, guess whats back? yup.
...and about 3 months sooner. 
So this time I decided to go to my moms naturalistic doctor and get food allergy tested. My gut has been telling me that it is food related and my pregnant body just doesn't expel toxins like normal. I thought I would get a result of one or two specific foods to avoid...
no, no. 
I'm food sensitive to everything! Wheat, tomatoes, oats, rye, corn, potatoes, canola oil (in everything), milk, cheese, to name a few. I can have brown rice, sweet potatoes, and blue corn...awesome.
Anyways I have been eating this way and I do feel better... bumps are gone. I have actually noticed to that my usual healthy eating habits aren't as healthy as I thought. I ate way more processed food than I realized. I am reading labels a lot now and I'm kind of shocked at all the crap I was unknowingly eating before.
I think my system is all over more sensitive pregnant. Eden had serious colic/spit ups until she was a year old and I am curious to see if avoiding these foods will help with nursing. Afterwards I am going to slowly work different foods back in and see how my body reacts to them.
Any suggestions of websites or cook books or ideas to help me get more creative with my new... mostly whole foods diet?

4 comments:

Betsy Lee said...

I have a friend who has a son who has celiac's disease and a daughter who has dairy allergies. What does that leave her to feed her family? Pretty much only all natural foods. She has a recipe blog, but it's private. If you'd like I can give her your email and have her invite you to read it.

So sorry about the intolerances, by the way! :( That's no fun at all!

Mike and Jenna said...

I heard the book, Eat to Live.. Is good? I think that is the name of it? I Don't know though... U know the I am the most un-healthy eater alive! That Salad/dinner does look good though! I am SO glad the rash is doing better, Love you!

Ryan and Amy Nelsen said...

This sounds miserable:(
My sister has had health problems and turned to her diet to see if that would help. She ended up going vegetarian, and is now vegan. She has made me WAY more aware of what is in the foods that I eat...and I have been more concerned about this topic having a baby and hearing studies that ADHD is caused a lot by diet. Food tastes so much better that is not processed and I enjoy cooking that way too...my favorite recipe website is melskitchencafe.com. She doesn't used anything processed in her recipes so that makes it easy for me!

Mandi Wilson said...

Hey Sophie I haven't talked to you in like a year! I miss you though, when I read this I realized I have lots of info you might be able to use. I don't have any food intolerances but I'm really into healthy eating, some of my favorite blogs are momskitchenhandbook.com, jamieoliver.com, and I also have some cookbooks that I like such as Family Meals by Maria Helm Sinskey. They might not be as whole foods as you need. My philosophy is to make things from scratch with natural and organic foods. I hope some of this helps! I hope you are doing well and if you live in Utah Valley still we should get together sometime!